Re: Fixes to jazz chord displays (issue 5320074)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Fixes to jazz chord displays (issue 5320074)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 14:11:50 +0000

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 12:34:15PM +0000, Adam Spiers wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I doubt it.  Just upload a new issue.
>
> So then we would have *three* Rietveld issues tracking the
> same thing.

The google code issue is our pointer.  Rietveld is our memory.  We
have one object in memory (the rietveld issue you're going to
upload), and two objects which have been de-referenced (Janek's
and Carl's uploads).

Our machine has infinite memory (because it's run on google
servers, and they have more bandwidth than god, and also more
processing power than the NSA [1]).  Garbage collection happens
whenever Carl and Janek get around to it.

Stop wasting time -- both mine and yours -- trying to handle the
memory manually.  Unless you're writing kernel or DSP code,
programmers outgrew that in the 90s.  We're not going to lose the
de-referenced pointers, so it's not a memory leak.

capiche?

[1] this is almost certainly false, but it's such a nice pithy
quote that I couldn't resist inventing it.