Re: The value of LilyPond, according to Ohloh

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: The value of LilyPond, according to Ohloh
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 10:02:51 +0100

> On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 02:55:34AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> git shortlog -ns|awk '{n+=$1;if(NR<20)print};END{print n}'
>>   1224       Francisco Vila
>>    379       Jean-Charles Malahieude
>>    172       Valentin Villenave
>>    170       David Kastrup
>> 22101
>>
>> I have to admit that I was surprised at the rather small contribution I
>> have made according to that metric.  Of course my own vanity wants to
>> ascribe some of that to red tape.
>
> Translators always have way higher commit counts than
> non-translators.  Documentation writers have their own set of
> metrics, too.
>
> A better test would be to omit changes to Documentation/ for
> programmers, and omit changes to Documentation/??/ for doc writers
> (but not translators).

Fortunately, in contrast to LOC-based corporate logic, we are not
distributing rewards according to that metric because it does not figure
in the shoulders of giants: work that actually _facilitates_ people
working on Lilypond.  Some of that is providing a friendly and helpful
atmosphere, an enticing mixture of punishment and reward, like the "bad
cop / bad cop" act of Graham and myself.  Some of that is providing a
friendly and helpful Lilypond, some is friendly and helpful
documentation.