Re: The value of LilyPond, according to Ohloh

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: The value of LilyPond, according to Ohloh
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 15:15:48 +0100

Han-Wen Nienhuys writes:

> Last time I looked lilypond was around 100k lines of code (a quick
> look says it 200k now

There are some nice tools for this, if anyone really wants to know.

> lilypond may represent 20-40 man years, considering I must have put in
> well over 10 personally.

It must be more.  I have put in at least 10 man years too, so 20 is
quite a bare minimum.

Considering that we both claim 10my and you have double the commits I
have, other questions arise: Possibly you put in 13my and I only 7my,
and if 10 for us both a good estimate, then how do our relative
average productivity quota compute?

The next step is even more interesting; kloc counting only goes so far;
on one project that I've been very productive in, I have put in minus
150,000 loc in 1.5 years, adding lots of functionality and
process/product infrastructure: adding continuous build, splitting the
tests into microtests and a regression test suite, monitoring test
coverage, etc.

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl