First-time pushing a patch

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: First-time pushing a patch
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:25:40 +0000

Hi all,

I finally got my ssh access to savannah sorted yesterday, and I've got a
small patch which has just gone in review and which James has marked as
Patch-review.  Now *assuming* the patch stands up to review, it would be
ready to push in the next few days.

I normally like to work on a path in a branch on my local repository (in
this case T2025).

I'd just like to check what the correct process is as I don't want to
screw up the first thing I push.  I presume the sequence would be
something like this, once I've seen the Tracker status go to Push-patch:

# make sure master branch and remote repo are in sync.
git checkout master
git pull --rebase --verbose
#answer prompts for ssh pass-phrase etc. here
.
.
.
# merge branch into local repository master branch
git merge T2025
# dry-run just to be paranoid
git push --dry-run --verbose
<more ssh pass-phrase stuff>
.
.
# now do it for real if the last one worked
git push --verbose

If someone could confirm that won't screw up the main repository I'd be
really grateful.

Cheers,

Ian