Re: First-time pushing a patch

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: First-time pushing a patch
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 23:39:16 -0000

Ian Hulin wrote Tuesday, November 08, 2011 11:25 PM

I'd just like to check what the correct process is as I don't want to
screw up the first thing I push.  I presume the sequence would be
something like this, once I've seen the Tracker status go to Push-patch:

# make sure master branch and remote repo are in sync.
git checkout master
git pull --rebase --verbose
#answer prompts for ssh pass-phrase etc. here
.
.
.

I would rebase T2025 here to branch from the updated
master, or cherrypick the commits.  That keeps the history
in origin/master cleaner by avoiding unnecessary merges.

# merge branch into local repository master branch
git merge T2025
# dry-run just to be paranoid
git push --dry-run --verbose
<more ssh pass-phrase stuff>
.
.
# now do it for real if the last one worked
git push --verbose

If someone could confirm that won't screw up the main repository I'd be
really grateful.

Looks fine to me

Trevor