Re: Keep yaffut from attempting to demangle. (issue 5375051)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Keep yaffut from attempting to demangle. (issue 5375051)
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 12:31:56 +0100

Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2011-11-11 09:31, address@hidden wrote:
>>> Remember that yaffut is a cross platform test suite, are things
>>> like c++filt available for MSVC, for example?
>>
>> Huh?  What concern are the platforms yaffut runs on?  Don't tell me that
>> Lilypond is one of its main distribution points.  If it is, so much the
>> better that I added a notice about the change.
>>
>> The point of importance are the platforms _Lilypond_ runs on.  And it is
>> not like the test suite will fail without demangling: it just has less
>> readable output.
>
> If it tries to call an external binary that fails, that's a problem,
> because then make check will fail...

make check fails for me already.

> Now, I haven't looked at the patch, so I don't know if the test suite
> will still work if c++filt is not available...

The test suite does not even try to use c++filt.  I have made configure
_suggest_ using c++filt.

> In the worst case, we need to add a configure check for it.a) don't
> use demangle but a neutral name like "typeformat".

I've kept the name in this latest patch because I am just using this as
a fallback when demangling fails.

I WASTED 4 HOURS OF DEVELOPER TIME diddling with autoconf to keep the
output demangled _if_ it happens to work.  I won't waste any more time
trying to smuggle c++filt into stepmake's arcane rules.  If Jan wants to
have his pet yaffut.hh further pampered, he can do it himself.

The patch in its current state does not affect a working test suite, and
it lets "make check" finish with slightly less readable output when
cxxabi.h breaks g++ 4.6.  So it is _strictly_ an improvement.

Whoever wants to invest more time in this maintenance hog is free to do
so.  But I refuse to further participate in this silliness.  I got
better things to do.  Any further demands for wasting my time on this
will let me abandon the patch for whoever feels more time should be
wasted.