Re: Pushing patches to staging

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Pushing patches to staging
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 19:58:55 +0100

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> At some point in the near future, I'll need to push a CG patch to
> update the bug squad rota.  My understanding is that this should now
> be done to dev/staging rather than master.  I've read David's note
> about how to do this, and wonder whether that's all necessary for a
> simple patch that's in my master branch and which I'm not too
> concerned about.

To push, you need to rebase to your push target, regardless of where you
are pushing to.  And after that, you do

git push origin HEAD:the-branch-i-push-to

again, regardless of where you are pushing to.  So what is the deal
about "that's all necessary for a simple patch"?  It is exactly the
"simple patches" which tend not to get enough testing attention.  Going
through dev/staging avoids blunders ruining master for others.  I should
be able to tell...

In addition "necessary for a simple patch" glosses over the fact that
once you _do_ push to master directly, any complex changes accumulated
in dev/staging need rebasing to master before they can get into master.

So while you haven't actually made things any simpler for yourself, you
have created a complication for others (automatic testing and pushing of
staging is blocked until somebody has manually chosen an appropriate
merge/rebase strategy for dev/staging and followed through).

> a) could someone provide some really simple git-novice level
> instructions about how to do this?

Anything wrong with the above?

> b) I don't think this is currently in the CG -  should I add it?

Personally, I'd like to use "staging" instead of the obscure
"dev/staging".  We need to synchronize this move to both documentation
and currently employed scripts as well as developer awareness.  Perhaps
we should agree on a date soon when we'll do that.