Re: Pushing patches to staging

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Pushing patches to staging
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 19:09:11 +0000

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 07:58:55PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > At some point in the near future, I'll need to push a CG patch to
> > update the bug squad rota.  My understanding is that this should now
> > be done to dev/staging rather than master.  I've read David's note
> > about how to do this, and wonder whether that's all necessary for a
> > simple patch that's in my master branch and which I'm not too
> > concerned about.
>
> To push, you need to rebase to your push target, regardless of where you
> are pushing to.  And after that, you do

What does "rebase to your push target" mean?

Assume that we all agree to use "staging" as of midnight tonight,
UK time.  EXACTLY what command-line should we use?

> git push origin HEAD:the-branch-i-push-to

Can I assume that the EXACT command-line will be

git push origin HEAD:staging
?

> again, regardless of where you are pushing to.  So what is the deal
> about "that's all necessary for a simple patch"?  It is exactly the
> "simple patches" which tend not to get enough testing attention.

+1

> > a) could someone provide some really simple git-novice level
> > instructions about how to do this?
>
> Anything wrong with the above?

See above.  I'm an idiot, and even if I wasn't an idiot, I don't
want to think.  I want copy&paste command lines.

> > b) I don't think this is currently in the CG -  should I add it?

Yes totally.  Not in the "quick start" section, since anybody
reading that will have somebody else pushing patches for them, but
in the "basic git use" of the regular git chapter.

> Personally, I'd like to use "staging" instead of the obscure
> "dev/staging".  We need to synchronize this move to both documentation
> and currently employed scripts as well as developer awareness.  Perhaps
> we should agree on a date soon when we'll do that.

Done.  Midnight tonight, we switch to "staging".  Could you start
a branch like that, so that nobody tries to push to a branch that
doesn't exist yet and get confused?