Re: automatic handling of staging

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: automatic handling of staging
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:05:14 +0000

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 07:16:01AM +0000, Peekay Ex wrote:

> This is from the terminal (run at about 06:45 BST today)

LGTM

James, could you look at the script and add some extra print
statements to make it more clear what's happening?  David posted a
"translation" that you could work from... the basic idea is, "what
could I (or "should I") have seen on the command-line this morning
so that I would have been confident that it worked.

Python is quite easy in this respect.  Find the mergeStaging()
function (near the bottom), then add
    print "this piece of text will be printed"

wherever you want.  Experiment a bit, then commit and send me the
git patch.

Once you've been runnning patchy for a few weeks with no problems,
I hope to get somebody else to run it -- not because I doubt that
you can do it, but rather because our mess of the past few months
has reinforced my desire to have multiple people trained in
multiple jobs.

So the whole idea of "what can I print so that somebody like me
knows what is going on" is not a theoretical concern at all; the
better comments you add, the easier it will be for Phil or Colin
or whoever to run patchy in the future.  (and of course, after the
next person has run it for a few weeks, adding or modifying the
printed text as well, then we'll get a third person to run it,
then a fourth, then at some point we'll go back to you)