Re: Uses the pure-from-neighbor-interface for NonMusicalPaperColumn hori

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Uses the pure-from-neighbor-interface for NonMusicalPaperColumn horizontal spacing. (issue 5432070)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:21:17 -0800

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 14:48:29 -0800, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

On Nov 26, 2011, at 9:56 PM, Keith OHara wrote:

Mike, Maybe change-clefs should not get the full extra-spacing-height by
default.

I could do this if I could call Item::break_visible before line breaking (which
would let me know which clefs are change clefs as opposed to
beginning-of-line-clefs).  However, I remember Neil saying that this was a bad
idea, although I don't remember why.  Any ideas why this call isn't Kosher?

Oops. I was thinking the smaller change clef was a different "grob", but it is
not.

'break_visible' calls break_status_dir() to look up whether an item is visible
based on the results of line-breaking, so you don't want that.  Now I see that
the clef:calc_glyph_name() does the same.

I think all the Clefs that exist before line-breaking should be change clefs,
with the begin-of-line clefs added afterwards. Probably best if no Clefs use
the pure-from-neighbor height, certainly not CueClefs.

The distinction between beginning-of-line and middle-of-line spacing is made
with 'space-alist'.  Most of the spacing based on the meaning, rather than
extent, of symbols is done with that system.
Actually, your "don't-hang-over-me" rule would fit there nicely as a new type in a 'space-alist' to go
alongside "minimum-space", "semi-fixed-space" etc.   It could be "no-overlap-space" and
use the extent of the Item and the next-note column rather than their skylines.

Perhaps a stupid question, but why does LilyPond even take ledger lines into
account if they have no vertical or horizontal extent?  How do they factor into
the spacing calculations?

Neighboring note-columns are allowed to tuck under ledger lines, but not within
the ledger lines.   {e'''8 cis'' e''' fis'' }
The NoteHead has extra-spacing-height to enforce this rule.