Trashy Novels (was: GOP-PROP 13: patch management tools)

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Trashy Novels (was: GOP-PROP 13: patch management tools)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:20:05 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:18:40PM +0100, Graham Percival wrote:

> Think of the question in marriage ceremonies: "if anybody knows of a
> reason why these two should not be wed, speak now or forever hold your
> peace.".
>
> Despite what one reads[1] in trashy romance novels, that question is
> mostly ceremonial -- nobody actually expects an objection.

Trashy? Well, YMMV -- but "Jane Eyre" is firmly planted as one of the
two most famous English novels :-)

   He paused, as the custom is. When is the pause after that sentence
   ever broken by reply? Not, perhaps, once in a hundred years. And the
   clergyman, who had not lifted his eyes from his book, and had held
   his breath but for a moment, was proceeding: his hand was already
   stretched towards Mr. Rochester, as his lips unclosed to ask, "Wilt
   thou have this woman for thy wedded wife?" -- when a distinct and
   near voice said: --

   "The marrige cannot go on: I declace the existence of an impediment."

-antrik-