Re: Trashy Novels

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Trashy Novels
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 01:29:30 +0100

<address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:18:40PM +0100, Graham Percival wrote:
>
>> Think of the question in marriage ceremonies: "if anybody knows of a
>> reason why these two should not be wed, speak now or forever hold your
>> peace.".
>>
>> Despite what one reads[1] in trashy romance novels, that question is
>> mostly ceremonial -- nobody actually expects an objection.
>
> Trashy? Well, YMMV -- but "Jane Eyre" is firmly planted as one of the
> two most famous English novels :-)

Huh?  Obviously "Wuthering Heights" would be one of those you'd consider
more famous (runs in the family), but I don't think "Jane Eyre" can hold
a candle regarding famosity to a number of novels, like "Vanity Fair",
"Oliver Twist", "The Picture of Dorian Grey", "Pride and Prejudice" and
so forth and so on.  Even "Frankenstein" would likely ring a bell with
more people than "Jane Eyre".