Re: GUB Build Success!

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: GUB Build Success!
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 04:15:06 +0000 (UTC)

Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 08:43:05PM +0000, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> > I have made one change to the spec files (the location of netpm
> > on lilypond.org has changed), and I did a couple of manual
> > downloads, so I'm not sure yet that GUB is ready to build
> > out-of-the-box.  But I have demonstrated that I can get all the
> > way through it.
>
> Eh?  I regularly build GUB out-of-the-box on lilydev [*].  What
> exactly do you think you need to do?

Well, I tried building GUB on 11.04, unsuccessfully (I have a file that
kept a record of everything I did, if anybody is interested).

Then I tried on lilydev in a virtual machine, and was also unsuccessful.
I didn't keep a good record of what happened at that time.

So then I tried with a fresh copy of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.  I was able
to work everything out and get it to build.  I will probably try to
summarize the efforts in the miscellaneous part of the CG.

> In particular, what's this
> netpbm thing?

The source for netpbm on lilypon.org is
http://lilypond.org/download/gub-sources/netpbm-patched/
netpbm-patched-10.35.tar.bz2.

The source entry in gub/gub/specs/netpbm.py is
http://lilypond.org/download/gub-sources/netpbm-patched-10.35.tar.bz2

When the download doesn't succeed, no error is thrown.  So as long as you
have the file when it comes time to extract it, you can go ahead.  But if
the file isn't there, you end up with an error.

I've made a patch that fixes it and will send it to you.

> [*] after installing libmpfr-dev, which is mentioned in the
> README.

In looking at my notes, it appears that I may have failed on my lilydev
install because I didn't install libmpfr-dev.  (BTW, the package name
libmpfr-dev is not in the README; I've made a patch to put it there,
and I'll send that to you too.

I'm currently in the midst of make bootstrap on lilydev.  I expect it to
continue to completion.

It will then be interesting to see if lilydev has everything needed to
do make lilypond.  On my vanilla 10.04 installation, there were some
additional things I needed to install in order to make lilypond, even
after completing make bootstrap.

Anyway, it's been more learning than I expected, but I think I can now
learn to modify the installers on GUB for windows and OS/X.

I'll be running make lilypond overnight tonight.

Thanks,

Carl