Re: lilypond-book on windows

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: lilypond-book on windows
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:36:49 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> The other aspect to this is that lilypond-book hasn't been working on
> Windows for months and I believe we had one "complaint".  Using TeX on
> windows doesn't seem to me to be something most users would do - if I
> was writing a book, I'd do it in Word and paste the images from
> lilypond in.

It is not the purpose of GNU software to encourage people to use Word.
_If_ we bother with Windows at all, the reason is to proselytize, and
LilyPond, being GNU software, should proselytize for Free Software.

If people don't switch to GNU/Linux because LilyPond only supported
workflows using Word on Windows, and so they would have to change their
manner of working with LilyPond, that's doing more damage than good to
GNU.

So I do think that it makes sense to get behind this.  Of course I am
aware that the amount of people that are competent with Windows and
willing and able to invest work in more parts of the free LilyPond
toolchain is quite limited.  And of course, after the third dozen of
hassles, you just use a virtual box or a GNU/Linux machine and don't
look back.  With good reason.  But there are still people back there who
have not yet seen the light.