Re: MacOS X development and support

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: MacOS X development and support
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 12:18:42 +0000

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 11:08:38AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> As far as I understand, in spite of the initial activities of core
> LilyPond developers, LilyPad is basically an external application that
> we just wrap and don't actively codevelop (meaning that its overlap with
> actual LilyPond development nowadays is rather minimal).

Note that lilypad-osx and lilypad-windows are completely different
beasts.  Different functionality, different GUI, different code
base.

> If you take a look at <URL:http://frescobaldi.org/download>, you'll find
> that it is almost but not quite in a situation where we could use it on
> all supported platforms when precompiled.  It would be more challenging
> to let GUB actually compile it (and dependencies).

I'm not eager to double the download size of a lilypond binary.
I'm not at all certain that we want to "bundle" an editor such as
frescobaldi... but of course it's worth considering and
discussing.

> The problem is that we can't even cut out a coherent set of requirements
> for keeping LilyPad supported, let alone start on something new.  So it
> would be clear that whoever was going to get interested in this project
> would have to start with a _lot_ of fumbling in the dark with uncertain
> outcome.

But nothing can happen without GUB getting under control.  Nothing
can change in terms of the end-user GUIs -- but also once I leave
Glasgow in a few months, nothing will happen in terms of binary
releases at all.  I'm not going to install ubuntu 10.04 when I'm
in Vancouver.