Re: Bad translation merge

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Bad translation merge
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 18:54:18 +0100

2012/3/7 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

> Hi, the recent translation merge apparently made some wrong choices when
> dealing with merge conflicts.  Changes in staging have been overwritten
> in the following files:
>
> Documentation/snippets/centering-markup-on-note-heads-automatically.ly
> Documentation/snippets/defining-an-engraver-in-scheme-ambitus-engraver.ly
> Documentation/snippets/numbers-as-easy-note-heads.ly
> GNUmakefile.in
> input/regression/autobeam-3-4-rules.ly
> input/regression/multiple-time-sig-settings.ly
> lily/book-scheme.cc
> lily/parser.yy
>
> and a whole lot of others.

Sorry for coming lately, I'm at work. This is what I know:

I do not merge lilypond/translation into master. I do merge master
into lilypond/translation and lilypond/translation into staging.

I rebased by mistake (instead of merging) lilypond/translation into
staging and my reasoning was: provided that staging does 'make && make
doc' and it has all the new work from translations, staging is not
damaged in any way, for now. Translations are not damaged in any way,
either.

Then I waited until patchy merges into master, so I can now be sure
that all those commits are 'upstream'. I could now safely merge master
into translations as usual. When I will eventually merge again,
duplicate commits should ideally combine in a single history.

If not, and if we have any conflicts, I could merge with strategy
recursive and option 'theirs'. That's what I did and worked fine
apparently. All work is there, everything compiles well.

Today, I merged translations into staging and some conflicts arose,
but they were trivial, with the '====<<<translations' part being
empty, so it was clear to me that I should always choose the part with
new content, namely the '>>>HEAD' part. That's what I manually did
today. Only four or five files were affected.

Then I checked 'make && make doc' while in staging, with the merge
conflicts resolved and commited. Everything looked fine, so I pushed.

What did I do wrongly? (apart from the superfluous rebase)

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com