Re: Bad translation merge

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Bad translation merge
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 23:18:25 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I've created a rebased branch containing all the commits that were
>> dropped in the faulty merge, and merged that into translation (the
>> result is at dev/translation).  I then merged that back into master (of
>> course, having to undo Francisco's "conflict resolution", partly
>> manually resolved merge conflicts, partly reremoving stuff that was
>> removed in master commits and resuscitated in manual merge resolution).
>>
>> The result of that is in /dev/staging.
>>
>> Now I don't have sufficient resources to continue reasonably fast.
>> Somebody needs to do make test-baseline on the last commit before the
>> merge (should be origin~1), and then a make check on the stuff in
>> /dev/staging.  This should turn up no differences (except for those
>> caused by translation).  If that's ok, we can push this to staging
>> proper and see how Patchy fares with it.
>
> maybe James can do that?  I have to go to sleep now and tomorrow i'll
> be busy all day, unfortunately.

Well, "somebody" will likely be me, of course.  Sleep is overrated.
make check is not all that slow, and I can leave the full doc build to
Patchy (assuming he is still on regular duty: there is actually no
reason why he shouldn't be).  That leaves the translations.  Now we can
reset them if needed, but I prefer not to do that since rewinding
published history is a nuisance, and I don't really want to force the
translators to mess more with their repositories than necessary.  I
suppose I'll push that thing shortly and hope for the best.