Re: Floating markup / Markup takes too much space

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Floating markup / Markup takes too much space
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 18:15:00 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Steinmetzger" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 5:52 PM

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 01:37:50PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:

> Dear list
> >
> I am trying something new; I want to include a logo in my copyright > line. I > have here a one-page sheet consisting of a score and a markup block > which
> contains the text for verses 2 to 4.
>
> Now according to annotate-spacing, I have 11.13pt of space left. The > image
> in the screenshot was included with the command
> \epsfile #Y #6 #"inc/filename.eps"
>
> But even if I increase the image's height from 6 to a mere 7, the markup
> above is pushed to a second page.
> [...]
> There have been a _lot_ of changes in the spacing calculations between > the > version you're using and current stable, which is 2.14.2. I suggest > trying
> with 2.14 and letting us know if the problems remain.

Thanks for your answers. I was beginning to fear my questions became either too
specific, too mundane or were dealt with many a time before, so you just
didn't bother. :)

Well, actually I was working and then singing. Other people were probably doing something similar. We answer as fast as we can, but it's better that you ask questions in plenty of time.

Anyway, The canon of your answers is to upgrade -- and I agree. A version push
request has been in the Gentoo bug tracker for ages now. I added a comment
there that 2.16 is about to come out (as I recently read here).

Back to topic: I built 2.14 from source which was easy thanks to Gentoo's
infrastructure. Indeed I can enlarge the logo nicely with it, because it
is a simple one-page piece.

Bigger pieces, however, use a template with a modified variant of the
titlepage snippet, which doesn't work properly with 2.14. This kind of
migration work is what I dread most about the switch.

Have you run convert-ly on the files in your project? Most of the time, this will fix upgrade issues automatically.

--
Phil Holmes