Re: since when LilyPond supports unicode?

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: since when LilyPond supports unicode?
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 19:12:44 +0100

Le 09/03/2012 18:59, Janek Warchoł disait :
On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM, James<address@hidden>  wrote:
Janek,

2012/3/9 Janek Warchoł<address@hidden>:
Hi.

i'd like to give precise information on how long Lily supports
Unicode.  I've searched "changes" on website, mailing lists and git
history, but didn't find the date - can you help?

cd $LILYPOND_GIT

git grep unicode

Just a quick glance shows me we mention 'stuff' in Changes around 2.10.x

November 2004 for the first appearance of utf-8/unicode

They look like enhancements only in my opinion, and there's no entry
in changes that would describe them:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/topdocs/NEWS.html
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/topdocs/NEWS.html
->  ?

Is this what you mean?
LilyPond 2.6 released - June 27, 2005

Version 2.6 is the latest stable release of LilyPond. It now installs in a snap on Windows, MacOS X, and any version of Linux (x86). Get up and running in minutes! Pango text formatting lets you print Unicode lyrics in your favorite script and font. Create SVG files, and edit them in Inkscape.

/and/
January 02, 2005

LilyPond 2.5.6 was released. This is a "technology preview" release, which means that it has all kinds of nifty features, but is not actually usable for producing nicely printed scores. For this reason, an RPM of this release was not produced. The PS backend is now completely switched over to Pango/FontConfig: for -f ps, LilyPond only accepts UTF8 input, all text fonts are loaded through Pango, the TeX backend now offloads all metric computations to LaTeX, the SVG and GNOME backends are broken, most probably.

Cheers,
Jean-Charles