Re: LSR is now on 2.14

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: LSR is now on 2.14
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 02:24:12 +0100

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 02:03:40AM +0200, Thomas Morley wrote:
> Am 30. März 2012 01:51 schrieb Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

> > That's what I expected.
>
> I added 66 (!) files from `Documentation/snippets/new' running with 2.14.
> It will be a lot of work to add them manually using the web-interface.

Recruit somebody from -user to handle it?

Alternately, you could have a look at the java code that runs LSR
and prepare a patch which adds this capability to it.  I think
it'll be far less work just to recruit one or two people from
-user, teach them enough to do this task, then let them handle it.

> > Once you've added a snippet to LSR manually and checked that it's
> > covered by the next LSR import (I think this is only Phil at the
> > moment, but if you want to try doing an import and put the patch
> > on rietveld, that would be great), that file should be deleted
> > from Documentation/snippets/new/.
>
> Well, currently I can't self-compile LilyPond or prepare a formal
> patch or sth else in this direction.
> Seems I have to learn a lot. ;)

Yep.  To warn you: at the moment the "quick start" section of the
CG is broken; following its instructions will give you neither a
quick nor painless start.

Your options are:
1) go through the painful process of figuring out which parts are
still valid and which are not.  Without a mentor, this will be
especially painful.
2) wait for lilydev to be updated (ETA: 6 weeks) and somebody to
fix up at least the short "quick start" section (ETA: 1 month
after lilydev is updated).
3) ask/wait for somebody else to handle the LSR import.

Unfortunately there is no magic wand that will let us offer you an
option other than those three.  (unless I've forgotten about
something, which is possible given my mental state these days.
James: I have not forgotten about your recent work on lilydev, but
I stand behind my pessimistic estimate)