Re: formatted GNUmakefile

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: formatted GNUmakefile
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 00:04:51 +0200 (CEST)

> * could you and Jan decide a formatting convention that we can apply
> by hand or with a script?

I don't have a definite answer on that; usually I follow my gut
feelings.  If in doubt, I use a more vertical formatting.  Most of the
decisions are simply a consequence of trying to stay within the 80
character line length limit, combined with proper indentation.  Ah
yes, here is a GNU coding rule (at least for C code): Logical
operators and the like should start a line, so don't write

  foo && \
  bar | \
  baz

but rather

  foo \
  && bar \
  | baz

> * do you plan to submit a patch (a git-formatted patch is enough,
> I'll take care of creating rietveld and google code issues) any time
> soon (say, one week), or are you leaving this up to somebody else?

I'll take care of formatting, and no google or rietveld issue is
necessary since I have write permissions.  Essentially, it's just
whitespace change so I can't break stuff :-)

However, there is a lot of activity recently on the Makefiles, so it
might be better if I do the whole thing later so that patches and
changes stay valid, probably after release 2.16...

    Werner