Re: formatted GNUmakefile

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: formatted GNUmakefile
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 05:47:05 +0200 (CEST)

>> SUBDIRS = \
>>   python scripts \
>
> I'm a big fan of splitting lists into one entry per line; esp. if
> you break at position 20 rather than 78.

Yes!  Of course, if you have a lot of small entries like

  SUBDIRS = \
    foo bar baz foz fuz buz

vertical alignment is probably harder to read.

>> test-clean: test-snippets-clean
>>      $(MAKE) -C input/regression \
>>              out=test \
>>              clean
>
> This would be debatable.  As it is only 50 characters wide, I would
> probably put in on one line.  Otoh, it helps with the diff rule
> above.  Mostly a matter of taste.

Indeed.  If there are a lot of similarly looking statements within a
single Makefile (as the above), I prefer similar formatting of all
entries, even if this sometime causes very short lines.

    Werner