Re: Issue 2648 in lilypond: Repeat Dots and Staff Size in 2.15.41

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Issue 2648 in lilypond: Repeat Dots and Staff Size in 2.15.41
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:21:38 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> Updates:
>       Labels: -Type-Ugly Type-Critical
>
> Comment #2 on issue 2648 by
> address@hidden: Repeat Dots and
> Staff Size in 2.15.41
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2648
>
> This bug first appeared in 2.15.40, so is a critical regression.

We have too few critical regressions.

I mean, we have too few categories for regressions.  I can see the
following:

a) Precludes work (patchy/staging catches most of those)
b) Precludes releases
c) Precludes a stable release
d) An eventual fix should be backported to last stable

My personal opinion is that we overuse category c) because we don't want
to think about d).  It's nice aiming for a stable release that will
never need a single backport or regression fix in its life time.

But that nicety pales against the garishness of not giving the users
anything ever.

So what does it take to make option d) workable?  For this kind of
thing, it seems much more suitable than c).  After all, the regression
is in a somewhat outlandish area that few users actually are interested
in.