Re: clear policy discussions

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: clear policy discussions
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 18:23:57 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> To: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>; "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 6:08 PM

a) a release-meister with responsibility to take all decisions.
That's what Han-Wen used to do, I believe.  It worked
quite well, although Graham will have more of an inside view
than I.  Would need to be someone with a similarly wide
overview.

In principle, I'm not against giving people authority to take decisions where there aren't hard-and-fast rules. However, there is a very substantial downside with this in an environment such as LilyPond. Given our poor recent history of being able to achieve consensus on fairly simple things (<> vs s1*0 anyone) there's a significant possibility of large clashes where the Release Meister makes a value judgement with which others disagree. I could envisage a stable release being pushed out because the RM thought it optimum, but another team member being significantly annoyed because, say, it had a bug that stopped his music setting. All hell then starts.

That's the benefit of rules - we argue over the rules slightly dispassionately, not over the value judgements.

--
Phil Holmes