Re: clear policy discussions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: clear policy discussions
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:36:49 +0200

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> I realize that you are angry, but please stop using words like
>> "monkey"
>
> I'm responsible for "monkey".  You asked to stop using it, but i
> continued to do so (not because of malice - i just didn't find good
> replacement).  I apologize.

I think I started it.  Sorry for that.  There actually was no disrespect
towards any person intended: I used it to describe the minimum
requirements the current policies were relying on from a release
manager, and apart from being a loaded term, it is actually inaccurate
since monkeys are not particularly known for following instructions.
"Robot" would have been a quite better fit (though Asimov would likely
be in violent disagreement).  In any case I agree that pittoresque
analogies do not actually help the discussion.

>> We are currently discussing how to change
>> it, so I see little benefit in arguing over precisely how bad the
>> current policy is.
>
> Hear, hear! +10

Agreed.