Re: parenthesizeStencil and bracketifyStencil (issue 6397043)

From: janek . lilypond
Subject: Re: parenthesizeStencil and bracketifyStencil (issue 6397043)
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 12:11:09 +0000

Hi,

this is really cool!

A few general remarks:
- is there a command to turn it off?
- there already is a command \parenthesize.  Your function seems to be
smarter (at least in some cases); would it be to combine them?  Having
two similar functions is confusing.
- i get a segmentation fault when i tried to parenthesize a NoteColumn.
- it produces bad results when used on stemmed NoteHead's. [1]
- there are unsymmetric results for dynamics:

\relative c' {
  \bracketifyStencil DynamicText
  c1\p c\mp c\mf c\f
}
\relative c' {
  \parenthesizeStencil DynamicText
  c1\p c\mp c\mf c\f
}

I'm quite sure they are caused by glyphs bounding boxes which are
inappropriate for this task.  Have you seen Mike's work on stencil
skylines (tracker 2148, Rietveld 5626052)?  I think that it would be
useful here.  See
http://lilypond-stuff.1065243.n5.nabble.com/skyline-integrals-test-results-2148-R-5626052-tp5705594p5705602.html
("skylines demonstration (patchset 40)" to see what is it all about.

[1] introducing inner- and outer-extents should help here. I'm working
on introducing them, together with general_alignment method. See this
issue and linked message
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2613 (it will take
some time to implement this fully, though).

thanks!
Janek

http://codereview.appspot.com/6397043/