Re: Fixes all black bars in NR (issue 6345088)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Fixes all black bars in NR (issue 6345088)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 03:26:22 +0200 (CEST)

> Try the dev/texinfo branch.  It is not really suitable for Rietveld
> since it is two commits: one the current Texinfo version, and the
> second a much smaller commit just changing the problematic lines.

Two days ago I've built the documentation, and everything seems fine.
Thanks a lot!

One issue to resolve yet is how we handle unavailable Unicode
characters.  While inclusion of PDF snippets now work, texinfo itself
only supports a small set of characters.  If you do `grep @u8 *.log',
you get 218 lines like these

  contributor.log:l.704: Unicode char @u8:⋮ not defined for Texinfo
  music-glossary.log:l.3571: Unicode char @u8:σ not defined for Texinfo
  notation.log:l.3406: Unicode char @u8:д not defined for Texinfo
  snippets.log:l.1903: Unicode char @u8:ק not defined for Texinfo
  web.log:l.2068: Unicode char @u8:語 not defined for Texinfo

without any indication in the output files that glyphs are missing.  A
quick solution could be to redefine texinfo.tex's internal
`\UTFviiiDefined' command to not only emit a warning but print a `not
available' glyph like `X'.  An even better solution would be to
provide a big square with four small digits in it, giving the
character's Unicode value.

    Werner