Re: Using MSH Paris Nord server

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Using MSH Paris Nord server
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 09:39:25 +0200

Lilyfan <address@hidden> writes:

>> Message du 25/07/12 00:08
>> De : "Trevor Daniels"
>> A : "Graham Percival" , "John Mandereau"
>> Copie à : "lilypond-devel"
>> Objet : Re: Using MSH Paris Nord server
>>

>> Graham Percival wrote Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:55 PM
>>
>> > grenouille.lilynet.net.
>>
>> I like it. Definitely better than crapaud which has an unfortunate
>> connotation to English-speakers.
>>
>> Trevor
>
> When I was a child, I would have loved to be the "crapaud" being
> kissed by the princess.
> A crapaud is also a size for grand piano.

Well, the association for me was
<URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Baptiste_Grenouille>, as the
not-quite sympathy-inspiring protagonist of a German novel.  However,
the novel quite expands on the ethymology of the name, so the reader
will be aware of the association to frogs.

Of course, it is almost inevitable for those versed in both the American
as well as the French language to think of John Longhorn's (aka Mark
Twain) famous frog story
<URL:http://www.angelfire.com/nb/classillus/images/jumping/jumping.html>,
an 18th century precursor of the famous "translate back and forth" game
that nowadays is popular with computer translation programs.