Using MSH Paris Nord server

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Using MSH Paris Nord server
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:42:15 +0200

Dear fellow developers,

I'm about to make lilypond-patchy-staging work on MSH Paris Nord server.
It is an old computer (Pentium 4 at 2 GHz, 2 GB of RAM),
so don't expect it to run much more than a slow but sure and regular
merger of staging into master, and possibly tester of patches and
translation branch.  However, the research centre MSH Paris Nord that
hosts it has a large bandwidth (100 Mbit/s), so it could be useful e.g.
to make "bleeding edge"[1] built docs available online to developers,
documentation editors and translators. Mike and/or me would set up this,
and we'd need A and AAAA DNS records for something like
builder.lilypond.org or builder.lilynet.net to make the machine
reachable more easily than just 194.254.171.80.

FWIW the server runs Debian Squeeze (latest stable), but LilyPond is
built in a chrooted Debian sid (unstable).

This machine is not really up to the task of building GUB; if at some
point we want to build nightly GUB snaphots, we might want to ask MSH
Paris Nord to replace the computer they provided us (an old unused
machine) with one from us.

[1] well, "make -j2 all" takes 18 minutes and "make -j2 CPU_COUNT=2 doc"
three hours, but there must be room for speeding up doc build a bit.

Cheers,
John