Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS or not

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS or not
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 12:33:30 +0200

2012/7/24 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> convert-ly can't work reliably since it does not understand the
> structure of LilyPond files.
(...)
> Reliable conversions need to understand structure.  You can do them on
> XML.  LilyPond is too complex.
(...)

Right, so a "perfect" convert-ly would solve all problems but this is
impossible. Then, it is now clear to me that a syntax stability for a
long period of time is very desirable.

Besides, I have weighted more than once the possibility of updating
all Mutopia music. That would improve its value (and the opposite,
i.e. doing nothing is effectively making it to lose its value more and
more).

Speaking of, another stupid idea I once had, was to establish big
"ranges of music Lily can do", for example "All J.S.Bach" and try to
find counter-examples that break this set. If we find them, _that_
would be a good source of ideas for improving LilyPond. If we don't
find any, we go for the next level, say "All Bach' sons" or "All
Salieri" and so on. Of course we could (should) go backwards as well,
e.g. "All Lully". Eventually we'll reach a certificate or seal of
compatibility for a range of composers.

Just thinking aloud, sorry. I don't want to waste your time. I realize
this is failrly naïve.
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com