Re: Syntax change proposal:

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Syntax change proposal:
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 01:10:27 +0200

On 16 Jul 2012, at 02:02, David Kastrup wrote:

> I am currently in the process of moving parsing of durations and pitches
> into the lexer instead of the parser (because parser lookahead causes
> tricky problems, and things like c'''' and c4.... can't be parsed
> without lookahead: any number of ' and/or . may still follow).
>
> One really ugly problem is interpreting things like "4.".  Looks like a
> duration, but then we have
> input/regression/dynamics-broken-hairpin.ly:  line-width = 4.\cm

From the microtonal point of view, a problem is that accidentals cannot
currently be implemented as (post-fix) operators, which if it could, would also
fix the parsing problem, I think. So for this feature to work, an expression
like c#>','4. (writing # for the Unicode musical sharp character, and > for a
microtonal Persian sori) should be parsed as: first finding the note name c,
then switching to the context of accidentals, like # > ' , etc., and when a
digit is found, switching to the duration context. Names like "cis" are then in
fact unnecessary.

Hans