Re: Syntax change proposal:

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Syntax change proposal:
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 20:06:41 +0100

David Kastrup wrote Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:03 PM

> It's much simpler than that.  Expressions are "greedy": what can become
> a part of them, will.  For that reason, it may make sense to enclose
> simple music in braces, or it is likely to integrate durations and
> postevents not intended for it.
>
> For argument parsing it might be nice if { single-music-event } would
> not turn into sequential music, similar to how #{ single-music-event #}
> doesn't, so that you can make music arguments unambiguous without
> causing them to be wrapped in sequential music.

For argument parsing I'd prefer to make spaces significant.

The basic problem is having to parse a set of arguments with
no delimiters to separate them.  This is never going to be easy
or satisfactory, given the complex existing syntax, and will lead
inevitably to user surprises.  Keith spotted this one; I'd be
surprised if it were the only one.

Trevor