Re: Please review: Brain surgery on the build system, first stage

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Please review: Brain surgery on the build system, first stage
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 16:49:01 +0200

John Mandereau writes:

> That said, there is a design I don't like, which BTW is not specific at
> all to StepMake: tying build order and make recursion with directory
> layout causes trouble in rules with prerequisites that are built in
> other directories. IMHO it would be much better to use make recursion
> for building stages (all, test, doc-1, doc-2...) instead of directories,
> with a toplevel GNUmakefile including submakefiles from subdirectories.
> I don't think it would be very easy to do this with GNU Make

I agree, and such scoping happens to be supported by GNU Make, although
I have rarely seen it being used.  Consider attached example and see
node Pattern-specific and node Target-specific in the doc.

Jan

16:45:54 address@hidden:~/vc/nrm
$ make
gcc -c  -o dir2/main.o dir2/main.c
gcc -c -DCOMPILING_BAR=1 -o dir1/bar.o dir1/bar.c
gcc -c -DCOMPILING_FOO=1 -o dir1/foo.o dir1/foo.c
ar r dir1/libdir1.a dir1/bar.o dir1/foo.o
ar: creating dir1/libdir1.a
gcc -o dir2/dir2 dir2/main.o dir1/libdir1.a

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl