make test

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: make test
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 09:59:03 +0100

I've been looking at how the regression test comparison works. The first thing I find is that we have 2 effectively duplicate, but different, pages on running regtest comparisons:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/verify-regression-tests
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/regtest-comparison

I think the latter is probably more accurate. I think it would be best to delete one and point to the other?

I've also been benchmarking. For example, I know that make CPU_COUNT=9 test is _much_ faster than make test, but the make -j9 test isn't worth doing - most of the time is spent building the single regtest document, which lilypond parallelises much better than make. I have had errors using -jX so am slightly suspicious of that option. I would like to add the best way to parallelise the test process to the CG.

I've also been looking at how output-distance works. Does anyone now understand what this actually does? From following the code, it looks to me like it doesn't actually compare images - it compares the .signature files, and if there's a difference over the threshold, it creates an image of the original and changed file, and then makes a "ghost" version of the change to overlay on the original. Does this seem correct. Worth documenting?

--
Phil Holmes