Re: Tidies binary relocation (issue 6463066)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Tidies binary relocation (issue 6463066)
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 15:40:19 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:19 PM

I haven't looked at the new logic in detail, but exactly what was
LILYPOND_RELOCATE_PREFIX doing, and why do we no longer need it?  If
that was the environment variable that allowed me to build the
documentation on osx without compiling lilypond, then I would be sad to
see it go.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6463066/

TBH, I have no idea. It relies on an environment variable that has no mention in our docs anywhere, and the only reference I can find to it at all is an email message from 2006, where using it didn't fix the problem anyway.

If anyone can say what it's used for, we could document it. But I don't think we should rely on reading the C++ code to find all the environment variables we could use...

The main reason I started to edit this is because it had the construct:

if (x)
{
 if (x)
 {
 }
}

which doesn't seem too good. Whilst trying to work out what that was doing, I concluded the relocate bit couldn't do anything either, since no-one would know about it.

--
Phil Holmes