Re: Tidies binary relocation (issue 6463066)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Tidies binary relocation (issue 6463066)
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:29:57 +0100

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 03:40:19PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
> To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
>
> >I haven't looked at the new logic in detail, but exactly what was
> >LILYPOND_RELOCATE_PREFIX doing, and why do we no longer need it?  If
>
> TBH, I have no idea.  It relies on an environment variable that has
> no mention in our docs anywhere, and the only reference I can find
> to it at all is an email message from 2006, where using it didn't
> fix the problem anyway.

That doesn't necessarily anything.  It could be used in GUB for
building, or lilypad-osx or lilypad-windows for compiling.  I must
admit that I've grepped for it in both git repositories and
couldn't find it, though.  It might even be involved in the
lilypond jail settings (i.e. for LSR).  (and note that unless you
have personally set up a working LSR, do not assume that the docs
on lilypond jail actually work!)

> If anyone can say what it's used for, we could document it.  But I
> don't think we should rely on reading the C++ code to find all the
> environment variables we could use...

OTOH, I don't think that we should delete bits of code unless we
know why they were there in the first place.  There's just so many
dark corners of lilypond that no active developers are familiar
with.

I'm not saying that I'm completely opposed to having this in git
master.  I'd feel better if you made some binaries and asked users
to test them first.  But even without that, as long as you'll be
around in Sep to revert this patch if necessary, I think it could
still go forward.