Re: Fw: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2547 in lilypond: Fix documentation of mak

From: James
Subject: Re: Fw: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2547 in lilypond: Fix documentation of making footnotes work via tweak.
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 23:18:54 +0100

John,

On 31 August 2012 22:35, John Mandereau <address@hidden> wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 31/08/2012 alle 18.43 +0100, James ha scritto:
>> I'll need to double check remember that I post links to zipped files.
>> I never checked the size of the show-xxxx regtest dir that gets
>> created. That might be larger although I cannot imagine that png files
>> compress that much more but the logs that sometimes get included in
>> reg test files might be significant.
>
> I can change Patchy so that it compresses the show-XXX tree in a xz
> file, send it to Grenouille via SFTP, then Grenouille unpacks it and
> makes it available on its web site; you'd get a warning or you'd have to
> confirm explicitly uploads larger than a fixed thresold.  If it sounds
> good to you, I'll go add this feature to Patchy, so that as little
> manual intervention as necessary will be needed.

That's fine.

However my internet connection while relatively ok is residential,
gets little over 1MBit speed peak (yes it is quite slow) and can on
occasion fail.

The problem often is the tidying up afterwards when a failure occurs
(lock files etc.)

I noticed today for instance that if I manually remove all the
lilypond stuff in /tmp that gets created that patchy complains that
there is no baseline (or rather the checksum has changed) and
recreates a new one, I know for lesser machines that is a PITA, but
for mine it's an extra 2 minutes.

My point is to account for

i. partially sent files (FTP borks midway)
ii. My end losing internet connection and what happens then - doe sit
keep trying to resend ad infinitum?
iii. How to tidy up accordingly

Maybe these aren't problems that are easily solved or too complex for
you to do quickly.

But I think if we did this in stages, for example set up grenouille
first to accept, unpack and display the zip files, I can send them
manually to start with, then once we have that bit sorted (it's no
different after all to what I do now by manually uploading reg tests
to that public FTP site) then look at automating test-patchy.

James