Re: [GLISS] verbifying music functions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [GLISS] verbifying music functions
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 21:46:47 +0200

Keith OHara <address@hidden> writes:

> Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:
>
>> Let's have a look at verbifying music functions.
>> [and special-cases that look just like music functions to the user]
>
> Most pre-fix functions do seem to be verbs expressing what we want LilyPond
> to do to the following music.   The exceptions
>
>> appoggiatura     => \addAppoggiatura ?  not nice
>
>> clef
>
> are nouns because they are themselves the notation.
>
> The implementation is that \appogiatura transforms the following music into
> an appogiatura, but we think of the appogiatura as the main concept, and
> the pitches describing the appogiatura.
>
> Similarly the \clef "treble_8"
>
> The ones with obvious changes to verbs, really should be verbs to help
> us remember that they do something to the following music
>
>> balloonText       => \addBalloonText

I think that those commands basically retaining their last argument with
extras could be

\withBalloon

\withFootnote

\withTag

\withTweak

but I am not particularly convinced that this really makes things easier
for people.

> I would go so far as
>
> bookOutputName     =>  setBookOutputName

Actually, I have code allowing

\bookOutputName = ...

to be used (\bookOutputName itself then referencing it).  It just does
not make all that much sense without a few other changes in music
functions.