Re: [GLISS] Existing syntax abominations

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: [GLISS] Existing syntax abominations
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:51:08 +0200

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>> I think David doesn't meant that we should remove \addlyrics
>> whatsoever.  I suppose that \addlyrics would just have to be
>> redesigned.  David, am i right?
>
> It would make some sense.  At the current point of time, \addlyrics can
> be attached to pretty much any music, and it takes a wild guess at call
> time what kind of context it should attach itself to with what
> structure.

Heh... and i was always thinking that \addlyrics is just a shortcut for
\new Lyrics \lyricsto "voiceabove" { ...  }
But now i realize that it couldn't have worked like that, because
\addlyrics may be attached to any kind of music expression, not just a
voice (i.e., how can Lily know what "voiceabove" should be?)

> Take a look at the difference in output for
>
> xxx = { c'2 c''4 c'' << r1 \\ r1 >> } \addlyrics { O- san- na }
>
> \void \displayLilyMusic \xxx
>
> sc = \score { \xxx }
>
> \void \displayLilyMusic #(ly:score-music sc)

whoah, that's quite a difference.
+1 for getting rid of this strange behavior.

cheers,
Janek