Re: [GLISS] Existing syntax abominations

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [GLISS] Existing syntax abominations
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:59:58 +0200

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I think David doesn't meant that we should remove \addlyrics
>>> whatsoever.  I suppose that \addlyrics would just have to be
>>> redesigned.  David, am i right?
>>
>> It would make some sense.  At the current point of time, \addlyrics can
>> be attached to pretty much any music, and it takes a wild guess at call
>> time what kind of context it should attach itself to with what
>> structure.
>
> Heh... and i was always thinking that \addlyrics is just a shortcut for
> \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voiceabove" { ...  }
> But now i realize that it couldn't have worked like that, because
> \addlyrics may be attached to any kind of music expression, not just a
> voice (i.e., how can Lily know what "voiceabove" should be?)
>
>> Take a look at the difference in output for
>>
>> xxx = { c'2 c''4 c'' << r1 \\ r1 >> } \addlyrics { O- san- na }
>>
>> \void \displayLilyMusic \xxx
>>
>> sc = \score { \xxx }
>>
>> \void \displayLilyMusic #(ly:score-music sc)
>
> whoah, that's quite a difference.
> +1 for getting rid of this strange behavior.

Actually, I was proposing extending "this strange behavior" (processing
music as a whole when it gets added to a score, incidentally the same
place where repeat chords get expanded by default) to \addlyrics.  It is
not feasible to "get rid of it" since the necessary information is
available reasonably reliably only at scorifying time.

Which makes it sound like a -1 from you for this approach.