Re: Call for help with bar lines

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Call for help with bar lines
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:46:42 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: "Marc Hohl" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Lily-Devel List" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:34 AM

On 26 sept. 2012, at 12:07, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> wrote:

Am 26.09.2012 11:47, schrieb address@hidden:
On 26 sept. 2012, at 11:01, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> wrote:

Can anyone with more knowledge than me give me a hint what's wrong?
IIUC correctly, lilypond draws a bar line at the beginning of each line,
but in most cases, this is an invisible one.
If you look at the results of input/regression/lyrics-spanbar.ly,
the whole stuff is shifted that much to the right that lilypond moves
the rightmost rest to a new line! I can't believe that a bar line with
zero width can be the cause for this...

Any hints are highly appreciated!

Regards,

Marc

Hey Marc,

I unfortunately don't have much time to help you out, but I can tell you that you are on the right track doing prints to the command line. I would not, however, stash them in lambda functions used as overrides, as this can sometimes interfere with pure properties.
Thanks for the hint, but I assume that this is not the case here, where I wrap ly:bar-line::print into
a callback ...

ly:bar-line::print is a registered pure-print-callback (line 2712 of define-grobs.scm), so when you use a custom callback, LilyPond stops finding pure heights of bar lines. To make sure that pure extents kick in, you'd need to do something like

\override BarLine #'print = #my-print-callback
\override BarLine #'Y-extent = #(ly:unpure-pure-container ly:grob::stencil-height (lambda (grob s e) (ly:grob::stencil-height grob)))

You can check on the CG subchapter on pure properties for more examples.

There are a couple classic things I use, most of which are in grob.cc.

In Grob::pure_relative_y_coordinate, before the last return statement, you can put:

if (name () == "BarLine") print ("RELATIVE COORDINATE for BARLINE at spanned rank %d: %4.4f\n", spanned_rank_interval ()[LEFT], out);
This can be quite handy, thanks!

But back to my original question: can someone please have a quick glimpse at the regtests?
Perhaps he can spot the cuprit very easily ...

I looked at them and my guess is that the pure extents (and maybe even unpure extents) are being changed, which is why I suggested doing prints to the command line for extents (both X and Y).

I've no idea if this will help, so feel free to ignore it. However, my recollection is that running lily with -ddump-signatures gives information on extents in the output file?

--
Phil Holmes