Re: '-signs in vectors - postulated in LM

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: '-signs in vectors - postulated in LM
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 00:17:37 +0100

2012/12/3 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Due to the discussion started here:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-12/msg00025.html
>> I thought about a patch removing all the superfluous '-signs in
>> vectors from the docs.
>>
>> Starting the work on it, I noticed that the LM explicitly postulates them:
>> /Documentation/learning/tweaks.itely
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/learning/visibility-and-color-of-objects
>>
>> Questions:
>> (1)
>> Is there an agreement, that the '-signs should be deleted?
>> (2)
>> If yes, than there is not only need for removing them, but to rewrite
>> that section of the LM.
>> Should this be done in one patch, or in follow-ups?
>
>     Issue 2916: Document \hide and \omit
>
>     Also fixes a few other inaccuracies.
>
> is currently on countdown, and "a few other inaccuracies" happens to
> cover part of the problem.

I must have overlooked that the first time.
You've rewritten that part I stumbled about, already.

> I just noticed that the file
> Documentation/learning/tweaks.itely generally talks a lot of nonsense
> about vectors, calling them a "list preceded by '#", which is rather
> misleading since at no time they are a list, and something like
> '# (2 3 4)
> would not even work: #( is a lexical unit.  If there was a "list"
> involved, one would be able to write a space before (.  So while 2916
> fixes a few of the vector-related inaccuracies, it does not do so
> completely.
>
> If we don't have agreement on (1), issue 2916 should likely not be
> committed in the current form,

Your patch still LGTM.

>  but the "inaccuracies" fixed in there
> concern quite more than just the removal of the quote character.  It
> very much looks like the author of the sections talking about vectors
> and/or the reviewers were not really familiar with them.

Well, I'm not that familiar with vectors, too.
So I'll let rewriting an instruction for this to someone with more
knowledge, sorry.
But I could make a patch for removing the '-signs.

-Harm