Re: '-signs in vectors - postulated in LM

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: '-signs in vectors - postulated in LM
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 08:48:42 -0000

David Kastrup wrote Re: '-signs in vectors - postulated in LM

> I just noticed that the file
> Documentation/learning/tweaks.itely generally talks a lot of nonsense
> about vectors, calling them a "list preceded by '#", which is rather
> misleading since at no time they are a list,

I assume you mean the table in
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/learning/types-of-properties

The last line uses 'list' in the usual English sense, not the meaning in
Scheme.  (I know, because I wrote it.)  I see it could be misleading
to anyone who knows Scheme, but those are not the intended
readers of the Learning Manual.  Perhaps it should be changed to
'set', as that was the term used earlier in the table.  Or maybe drop
that term altogether and write

"Three items separated by spaces, enclosed in parentheses and
preceded by hash, #."

Would that correct the "lot of nonsense", or is there more?

> It very much looks like the author of the sections talking about vectors
> and/or the reviewers were not really familiar with them.

True; and there was no review procedure when that section was
written (and no helpful expert either :).  Remember, though, this
manual is to help people new to LilyPond to write /LilyPond/ code
with the minimum exposure to the underlying technical details.
That said, it must not make any inaccurate or potentially
misleading statements, so let's get this corrected.

Trevor