Re: Add note to manuals.html describing formats of manuals (Issue 2895)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Add note to manuals.html describing formats of manuals (Issue 2895) (issue 6867054)
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 13:38:53 -0800

On Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 12:42:01PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
> You have to guess that "Details of" points to a PDF, and the
> mailing lists have provided a number of examples of where new
> users have failed to make this connection.

Good point.

> It seems to me we have 2 options, which could either meet you need
> to avoid pushing the text further down the page.  1.  Replace (say)
> Notation: syntax reference.(details of Notation) with Notation (HTML
> pages); syntax reference.(details of Notation); PDF download; single
> large HTML page and have the 3 links there.  I think this would
> still fit OK (not tried, but the space looks to be there)

On my current browser window, the "details of snippets" is split
across two lines.  However, that's not a horrible thing.

What about this?  The main link for each manual would link to the
current "details of" page, and after the one-clause description on
the main manuals page we would have (split html, big html, pdf).

> or 2: Add
> a box towards the bottom of the page with "Manual formats" as a
> header, and essentially the text of this patch in it. New users
> could use those little scroll bars on the right of the screen to
> find that text, and you wouldn't need to bother.

I'm fine with this option as well, although I think that the first
option is nicer.