Re: Tablature: ignore minimumStretch to/from fret zero (issue 6944061)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Tablature: ignore minimumStretch to/from fret zero (issue 6944061)
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:57:00 -0800

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 06:29:30 -0800, <address@hidden> wrote:

On 2012/12/23 14:24:31, Carl wrote:
I think the whole issue on this "bug" is incorrect.

The problem we have is that by using restrain open strings, we are
telling
lilypond "Don't use open strings".  Then by setting minimum-fret to 0,
we are
saying "Do use open strings."  How can we decide what behavior
lilypond should
have when the user is inconsistent in their request?

I believe the original code is correct -- if restrain-open-strings is
true, a
zero fret should not be allowed.  That's what restrainOpenStrings
means.

No, it isn't.  Then it would be "forbidOpenStrings".  Please see the
original discussion.  Open strings are merely restrained to the same
level as normal frets are.  In particular, they obey minimumFret

https://codereview.appspot.com/6944061/

If we restrain open strings to the same level as normal frets, that would
include checking if we can reach fret-0 within minimumStretch of the other
stopped frets, which is the check that surprised Federico in