Re: Cron jobs - redirecting output question

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Cron jobs - redirecting output question
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 15:09:02 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2013 7:58 AM

On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 03:10:38PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
I understand that this means that all output is sent to the null
device - i.e. discarded.  Is there any reason not to send it to a
file, to aid debugging should there be any problems?  My thinking
would be that the filename wouldn't change, so it would be
over-written each time the script is run.

No clue, but go ahead and experiment.  Please check it once a day
or at the beginning just to make sure that it is indeed
overwriting the same file and not chewing up disk space, since we
don't own the server.  But I don't anticipate any problems with
it.

Works fine - reveals a lot of errors in the make website shell script - about 300 similar to this:

rsync: failed to set permissions on "/[directory redacted]/ties-scoring-example.png": Operation not permitted (1)

Any ideas how to fix this?

--
Phil Holmes