Cron jobs - redirecting output question

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Cron jobs - redirecting output question
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 15:10:38 -0000

One of the cron jobs on the lilypond website is this:

$HOME/lilypond/bin/make-website.sh > /dev/null 2>&1

I understand that this means that all output is sent to the null device - i.e. discarded. Is there any reason not to send it to a file, to aid debugging should there be any problems? My thinking would be that the filename wouldn't change, so it would be over-written each time the script is run.

--
Phil Holmes