Re: function to get moment as staff-spaces

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: function to get moment as staff-spaces
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 05:58:51 +0000 (UTC)

Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan <at> sympatico.ca> writes:

> There are times I would like to offset something by a duration
> (e.g., a quarter note) without using spacers
> — for example, I have a ChordName that collides with a markup,
>  and I want the ChordName to move
> horizontally to the right (not vertically***).
> I don't want to change the duration of the chord, or the
> moment of its attack — only its visual placement.

\version "2.16.0"
<< \new ChordNames \chordmode { c1 c1 }
   \new Staff { g'2
   % the defaults set extra-spacing-width so that text is ignored
   \once \override TextScript #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 0)
   % ... probably because we *don't* want notes sticking slightly out of the
   % staff to make room for text.  We can raise up extra-spacing-height
   % to say "please push only things at my height and above out of my way"
   \once \override TextScript #'extra-spacing-height = #'(1 . 1)
   c''4^"commentary" g' c'1  }