Re: Did VerticalAxisGroup default-staff-staff-spacing stop respecting pa

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Did VerticalAxisGroup default-staff-staff-spacing stop respecting padding in 2.17.10?
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 08:47:04 +0100

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> -  if (b.end_ > b.start_ + EPS)
> +  if (b.end_ >= b.start_)

That should be rather "if (b.end_ > b.start_)" to be equivalent.
However, you are right that for "proper" emptiness, this change would
seem correct.

We had some changes recently regarding the representation of \hspace
that revolved around empty intervals and stuff.  Given how recent this
was, it would not be surprising if we had some code presenting emptiness
by a one-point interval, and the original line above seems to be
catering for that case.  Though without the EPS, it would not appear
that a point interval can become a non-point interval through shifting
(after all, once two values are really equal, they can't become
different when put through the same transform).

With boxes, including baseline parts does not really make much of a
difference, so the code could likely get away with treating empty and
zero-extent as mostly equivalent.

With skylines, we don't have that luxury.  Stacking a zero-height box
between skylines now makes a large difference.  And it would appear that
there is code that is not aware of that difference yet.