Re: Patch meister position still vacant!!!

From: James
Subject: Re: Patch meister position still vacant!!!
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 21:55:59 +0000

Hello,

On 11 February 2013 14:42, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi, the duties of the Patch meister are outlined in
<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/contributor/patch-handling>.
Currently, nobody is doing this job since Colin Campbell took a
sabbatical in order to find some time for doing things with LilyPond
rather than for LilyPond and thus recharge his motivation.

I have been pitching in with the respective patch status changes in the
last few weeks, but it is clear that I lack both the diligence as well
as the impartiality required for this job: obviously patches of which I
am reasonably sure get preferred treatment, and obviously my own patches
are more likely to benefit.  What is worse is that I tend to
procrastinate on patches I feel unsure about, and I also procrastinate
on doing the actual reviews necessary to end the unsureness.  I can't
split sufficiently into two persons, one who waves through changes that
the other feels bad about but did not have the time or energy to
thoroughly review.  And I am losing track on what is what and waiting
for how long.

So I am stalling LilyPond's progress in this function.  That's bad.  We
need someone else to take over this job, someone who feels ok with
ticking off a checklist and taking action on the presently available
information.

Please consider whether you can pitch in here.  If we can find no single
person to do this job, we might do rotations on it.  But I'd prefer some
consistency in reaction rather than, say, "oh, because of the standing
and unaddressed objections on Rietveld, I did not get my patch through
on Tuesday, so I just wait for Thursday since the Patch meister on that
day is less careful".

Please consider pitching in here if you can see yourself able to do this
duty.

I can do this. Although I thought that someone had already voluntered. Eluze? (I cannot remember)

Anyway, assuming that no one else offers, I'll take a look and make a start of it on Wednesday.

James